Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Little Things


When I bought my house 6 years ago, my grandmother gave me the most amazing housewarming gift.  It was a gigantic framed print that reads, "Enjoy the Little Things". The quote is surrounded by small vegetables and bunnies (it's very grandmotherly).  The best part is that it was completely hand-stitched.  And it took my lovely grandmother over a year to complete because the arthritis in her hands was so painful every time she picked up the needle and thread.  On Sunday, we will be remembering the third anniversary of her passing.  I continue to miss my Gram every day, and am reminded every morning I walk in to my guest room to get dressed (yes, I have my own dressing room. And no, it's not because I'm spoiled.  It's actually because my house lacks an appropriate amount of closets) to "Enjoy the Little Things". 

(I totally tried for like an hour to upload a picture of this thing in all its glory, and it just wouldn't work.  Boo.)


And so, in honor of Gram and her wisdom, here is what I'm enjoying today:

1. For the first time in MONTHS, the scale spit a number out to me that was 5 (count 'em, 5) pounds less than I'm used to seeing.  I'm 99% sure that it was just a fluke, but it was amazing.  I must have either had my ankles hanging off the edge, or I was dehydrated (probably a combination of both).  It gave me pure hope that this number will one day be the norm. 

2.  When I left my house at 8:30 this morning, my little one was still asleep!!!  If you've ever met him, you understand completely why this is something to celebrate.  I love both of my kids more than anything, but to say my little one is high maintenance is an understatement.  He is very fun and cute, but also makes it difficult to do anything calmly.  I'm usually a complete crazy mess in the morning as I rush around to get ready for work, and his sleeping in today was a very welcome surprise.
Hello! I drive my mother completely insane.


3.  When I got to work, I found out that one of my students was suspended.  I know, you're all thinking that I'm completely evil for celebrating this "Little Thing".  But when you spend your days working with teenagers who are effing crazy display challenging behaviors in an alternative learning setting, a day off from one of them once in a while is in fact a little slice of wonderful.

4.  It's finally March. Spring is FINALLY coming.  It's gonna be almost 60 next week!  Yes, in this gloomy city, these are little things that need to be enjoyed. 

5. Zumba tonight! Yeah! It's one little thing that I really freaking love.  I cannot believe that I actually look forward to going to the gym these days. 

What are you enjoying today? (I'd love to hear. Seriously!  Write me a little comment!)

Have a healthy day,

J

PS- I have no idea why my font is all messed up today.  After the frustration of not being able to upload my picture, I'm giving up.  I hate technology.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment