Thursday, March 22, 2012

Analysis Paralysis

Have you ever had the gut feeling that something needs to change, but you don't even know where to start?  So you sit and think, and dream, and create a million possibilities in your head. And then you imagine yourself in your new role, and you start to love your new (yet fictional) life. But then something switches in your brain. Suddenly, you start thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong. And ultimately you end up staying exactly where you are. Because it's safe; predictable. Yet boring; unfulfilling. And nothing changes.  Sound familiar?
In the sales world, when people are stuck in a cycle of what-ifs, they are diagnosed with "Analysis Paralysis" (thanks to my hubs for that one).  What  a perfect term, right?  So concerned with trying to make it perfect and trying to eliminate every single possible negative outcome that ultimately, nothing happens.  Life goes on without you. Other people get the cool jobs, the commission checks, the recognition.  And you always remain on the outside looking in.  Has that ever happened to you????



Making decisions can be so scary.  I mean, what if you make the wrong one and end up even less happy?   And what you're currently doing is comfortable, familiar.  So what's the point of starting all over again, right?

Well, I'm not asking all of these questions tonight because I have all of the answers.  No, I'm actually asking them to myself just as much as I am to you. This is such a wonderful time of year as a teacher.  The time of year when we start to reflect on what the past 6 months have looked like.  Yes, we still have almost 3 months left (9 and a half weeks, to be exact, not that I'm counting).  Yet we're already looking ahead to what next year will look like.  And, as scary as that is, I don't know the answer to that just yet.

But I'm determined not to let analysis paralysis hold me back.  (How about you?)

Have a healthy day,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment