Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Drink Up

How much water do you drink in any given day?  I for one, KNOW that I do not drink enough.  I rarely get in my recommended 6-8 glasses. And this is especially bad since I do some sort of exercise on most days.  I should definitely be drinking WAY more than I do. 

According to a health article I recently read on line, most people live in a state of dehydration and they don't even know it.  That's crazy! Did you know that if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated?  I also learned that the brain is made up of 90% water.  I never knew that!  A lot of times when people are feeling tired, have a headache, or are just a little foggy at work, they reach for pop or coffee. Yes, caffeine is a quick pick-me-up, but it's also the opposite of what you probably need.  Caffeine actually DEHYDRATES you.  So next time, chug some water instead!

 Do you ever get cramps at the gym?  Guess what?  You're probably dehydrated.  I say this to the people who come to my class all the time.  And it's really so true- if you have been working out for a while, and all of a sudden you get a cramp, you need to stop for a second, stretch, and drink some water.  This totally happened to me the other day right in the middle of a class I was taking.  I was drinking during the class, but hadn't had enough to drink throughout the day.  I got a major cramp in my side.  SO not fun!

Just in case those reasons aren't good enough for you, here are a few more reasons why you need to sip more of the clear stuff throughout the day.  Drinking water keeps your skin hydrated, therefore helping you to look younger.  It's a natural mood booster (and who doesn't to be in a good mood?!) AND.. last but certainly not least, drinking water helps speed up your metabolism.  So yes, it's true- you can actually lose weight by drinking more water!! 

I know, I know, you've heard all of this a million times before.  So why, then, are you not doing it?  It doesn't matter whether it comes out of a straw, a cute trendy water bottle, a fountain, or a plain old glass.  All that matters is that it happens.  I am making a commitment to start drinking more water, are you? 

Have a healthy day,

J

*the articles I used for this post:
 http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html;
 http://www.ehow.com/about_5052184_symptoms-not-drinking-enough-water.html

No comments:

Post a Comment